New York, NY
This project involved the renovation and conversion of a landmarked four-story townhouse built in 1862. The building and connecting garden were in a severe state of disrepair. The owners sought to put back the ‘bones’ of the original house while rethinking the traditional townhouse layout to suit their needs.
The kitchen and dining room were modeled after a Tuscan farmhouse with a stone floor, large wood-burning fireplace, and an oversized built-in seating area overlooking the garden. Portions of the ceiling beams were exposed over the dining table. The second floor houses the master bedroom, dressing room, master bathroom, and walk-in closet. The master bathroom, the front room of the townhouse, contains a metal cove ceiling, stone plaster walls, custom medicine cabinet doors, glass mosaic niches and a separate toilet/bidet area. The third floor houses a studio with a fireplace and seating area, an office, a guest room, a kitchenette and a guest bathroom. The roof has a wood deck, a number of architectural stone remnants serving as a balustrade, and an outdoor shower overlooking Greenwich Village.
The architecture and interiors were tightly woven together throughout the design process with much of the interior finishes selected as a team effort between owner and architect.